EU Flagga
Image Source: MPD01605
Rebecca Wayman

UK tourists in EU could require 'Green Card' to travel post Brexit

After March 29 - when Brexit is officially happening - UK motorists would potentially be breaking the law if they want to drive abroad.

This is due to the fact a no-deal Brexit would require drivers needing a Green Card to prove their insurance.

EU regulations are set to hit businesses and individuals, and will also apply to anyone driving across the Northern Ireland/Republic of Ireland border.

The card can be ordered a month before travel, according to the Association of British Insurers.

Huw Evans, director general of the ABI, said: “As it looks increasingly possible that a no-deal Brexit may happen, we want all insurance customers to know the facts about what this means for them.”

Despite efforts to sign away the need for Green Cards in a no-deal Brexit during May 2018, this has not yet been confirmed by the European Commission.

It means Green Cards would be required under EU regulations as proof of insurance if the UK leaves the EU without a withdrawal deal.

The UK is set to leave the EU on 31 October 2019. Are you preparing for Brexit? Complete the North East Growth Hub and Tees Valley Business Compass’ 3-minute survey →

Explore these topics

Our Partners

Join the discussion as a guest or using , or Google

Top Ten Most Read