ERA magazine

Member Article

A new ERA: creative students launch magazine

Media students from Guisborough’s Prior Pursglove College ended their term by celebrating the launch of a student magazine that they entirely produced.

ERA Magazine is the work of OCR National Diploma in Media Studies students who worked tirelessly to set-up, edit and design the publication which was professionally printed and is now on sale at the college’s shop. Each participating student was assigned a job role and the team had entire editorial, design and management say-so.

The business-minded students even sold advertising space to local businesses to fund the magazine and are selling copies for £1 to cover the production costs.

Student targeted content included articles on holiday destinations, fashion trends, local nightlife, music and festivals.

Emily Wilson (ex Sacred Heart RC School) and David Pottinger (ex Acklam Grange School) took the roles of Editor and Assistant Editor. Emily said, “The whole experience was so professional from top to bottom. Essentially we got to experience what it is like to put a proper publication together which will definitely help with my career ambitions.” Emily, 18 and from Redcar, is planning a career within journalism and should be heading off to study broadcast journalism at Salford University after the summer.

David said, “The project has given me a greater idea about structuring articles and formatting for a professional publication. It was also useful to look at the view of the end reader when we produced articles.” David, 18 and from Acklam, is heading off to York St. John University in order to support a career within primary school teaching. He won’t leave journalism behind completely however, as he plans to set up an online blog while studying.

Amy-Leigh Rutherford (ex Acklam Grange School) was the production chief of the ‘company’ and had overall say and control over what the rest of the team produced. She said, “I was the main organiser so enjoyed bossing everyone about! This project is far different from our usual college activities as we were making a final product. I was really proud when we saw the first copy of the magazine.” Amy, 17 and from Ingleby Barwick, is planning to complete an apprenticeship in business admin. Her real life passion involves baking and she is currently taking a part-time cake making course and she one day hopes to open her own cake shop.

Holly Molnar (ex Bydales School) was in charge of graphic design for ERA. She has her sights set on a journalism degree at Huddersfield University and the 18 year old Marske-by-the-Sea resident said, “Producing the magazine has enabled me to be very creative and I can put input my own ideas into it the look and feel of the final publication. I have really enjoyed this opportunity.”

Media teacher Carol Hale said, “I’m really pleased of them all. They have worked professionally within the job roles they were assigned and were dedicated, motivated and keen throughout.

They are all talented and will progress in whatever career area they choose. I’m amazed at how well they have done and the quality of the finished product.“

Carol Hale can be contacted at c.hale@prior.pursglove.ac.uk for further details about the course or to request a copy of ERA magazine.

This was posted in Bdaily's Members' News section by Prior Pursglove College .

Explore these topics

Our Partners