Spital Farm

Member Article

Historic Spital Farm on the market for £1.5 million

One of the most idiosyncratic and individual retail and leisure developments in North Yorkshire is on the market for £1.5 million.

The 8-acre Spital Farm Complex at Staxton, near Scarborough, is being marketed by the Leeds office of global property consultancy Knight Frank.

Prominently situated on the Staxton roundabout on the outskirts of Scarborough, the complex comprises a fully-equipped bar, 52-cover restaurant and carvery; a historic Grade II-listed 16th century three bedroomed house, with bedsits and ancillary buildings; a Dickens-themed craft centre with retail units; and camping facilities for tents, motorhomes and caravans, with potential to expand.

The farm itself, which has been recently restored and modernised, dates back to the 16th century and looks out across the Vale of Pickering.

Dan Hyde, retail specialist with the Leeds office of global property consultancy Knight Frank commented: “This is one of the most unusual retail properties to come on to the market in Yorkshire this year. It is also one of the most attractive, with tremendous potential.

“There is planning permission in place for the craft centre and retail units to be converted into a 16-bedroom motel and there is considerable scope to expand the camp site and the facilities subject to securing the relevant permissions. It is superbly located between Scarborough and Filey in a prominent position on the A64 and there is substantial parking space on site.

“The whole site has been lovingly restored, developed and modernised by owners Allan and Sandra Hunneybell. They have devoted the past 13 years to creating an amazing retail location and now they feel it is time to retire,” explained Mr Hyde.

The popular campsite, which occupies ancient land that dates back 997AD, was launched in 2001. The site is full of surprises and recent archaeological surveys have exposed an ancient hostel dating back to medieval times, which was built on top of a Roman Marching Camp.

The present Spital Farm Site first came about when an ancient monastery was demolished during the dissolution of the monasteries by Henry VIII (between 1536 and 1541, when Henry VIII disbanded monastic communities in England, Wales and Ireland).

The Grade II listed, sixteenth-century farmhouse is the original ‘spital’ (from the Hospital of St Mary, Staxton, which belonged to the priory of Bridlington), and the visitor centre is built on what remains of this old monastery.

Mr Hyde added: “The camping facilities offer accommodation for tents, caravans and motorhomes and boast newly-constructed male and female showers and washing facilities. The site benefits from motorhome service points and includes a rally field and showground.”

This was posted in Bdaily's Members' News section by Robert Beaumont .

Enjoy the read? Get Bdaily delivered.

Sign up to receive our popular Yorkshire & The Humber morning email for free.

* Occasional offers & updates from selected Bdaily partners

Our Partners

Top Ten Most Read