Partner Article
Gatwick Airport expansion faces opposition
Civic leaders in Tunbridge Wells have formally declared their opposition Gatwick Airport’s expansion plans to build another runway
At a public debate in Tunbridge Wells on Wednesday, the motion against the project was carried with 40 votes in favour, one abstention and one against.
According to the BBC, Gatwick Airport has previously said its expansion would be funded “without a penny of public money” and create 120,000 jobs.
The Airports Commission will decide whether a new runway will be built at Gatwick or Heathrow later in the year, after the General Election.
Council leader David Jukes said: “This is democracy in action - you don’t often see a lot of people attending a boring council meeting.”
This was posted in Bdaily's Members' News section by Ellen Forster .
Enjoy the read? Get Bdaily delivered.
Sign up to receive our popular morning London email for free.
The hidden cost squeezing Britain's economy
Teesside deserves more than cashback devolution
Construction must be built on commercial discipline
Devolution needs financial firepower to drive growth
The value of creating a stronger careers route
Apprenticeships: Invest in talent or keep chasing it
Are you ready for salary transparency?
Confidence the key to our artificial intelligence future
The missing piece of the puzzle in the NEET crisis
The North East investment story needs two engines
We must forge change to close the skills gap
Creating the conditions for North East talent to thrive