WORLD PAPER FREE DAY - 27TH OCTOBER 2011
Last year over 57,000 people participated in the first World Paper Free Day. Help us to double this amount and bring your office into the 21st century without a paper trail
Paper waste and the effect on the environment:
Paper usage is rising by around 20% every year, with the average office worker using approximately 50 sheets of paper every day in the typical office
- 90% of paper pulp is made of wood
- Approx 324Lof water is used to produce 1kg of paper
- Paper manufacturing is the 3rd largest user of fossil fuels worldwide
- Every tree provides oxygen enough for 3 people to breathe
- Recycling paper uses 60% less energy than manufacturing virgin timber paper
Recycling is good, but prevention is better:
- Rotting or compost paper emits methan gas which is 25 times more toxic than CO2
Going paperless will therefore not only help the environment, but make an organization more efficient with easier and simultaneous access to valuable information from across the organization.
What can you do?
Some tips to help you move your company to a less paper future
- Only print what you have to
- Send all documents where you can by e-mail
- Send and receive invoices electronically
- If you have to print, spell/grammer check the document before you print
- Save e-mails directly to file - do not print
- Send agendas/minutes/notes ahead of meetings electronically
- Investigate a process that can cut paper waste in your office
- Sign up for digital versions of trade magazines and newsletters
- Digitize information as early in the process as possible
- Create an environmental policy
For more information contact:
Less Paper Solutions Ltd
0191 258 7999
This was posted in Bdaily's Members' News section by Janice Palmer .
Enjoy the read? Get Bdaily delivered.
Sign up to receive our popular morning National email for free.