NSV interns

Member Article

Northstar Ventures Take on Interns from Newcastle University

Last month two students from Newcastle University joined Northstar Ventures as part of the Newcastle Work Experience programme. The students will be undertaking placements within the company’s PR and Marketing department.

The Newcastle Work Experience Programme offers students paid term time and summer placements with businesses across the North East. Jordan Oloman and Lisa Van Heereveld were selected to join Northstar Ventures after impressing during the application process.

Working under the wing of Northstar’s Marketing and PR Manager, the interns will be developing their skills in a variety of areas, including writing press releases, managing social media accounts, and assisting at events. The aim of the placement is to provide both interns with professional experience and a variety of skills to help them stand out in the job market.

Laura Richards, Marketing and PR Manager at Northstar, said: “The Newcastle Work Experience programme is a great opportunity for students to gain hands on experience working in a professional environment. Jordan and Lisa have already shown they have the skills needed to work in PR, and are providing us with valuable support. We hope that throughout their placements with Northstar we are able to provide them with a variety of opportunities to develop their skillsets and enhance their CVs.”

Jordan Oloman is a second year student of History and Archaeology. He is a keen writer, with a strong background in online journalism. Jordan currently writes for the University’s student newspaper, The Courier, and is involved in many of the universities entrepreneurial pursuits. He said: “It is a privilege to be given the chance to work in a team with a history of supporting my local region, the North East. I am looking forward to learning a lot from a group of very talented individuals, and apply my skills to a very exciting sector.”

Lisa Van Heereveld is originally from the Netherlands, and is currently in her third year studying Media and Communications. She is also the new president of NUESOC, Newcastle University’s own entrepreneurial society. Lisa said: “The North East is a great region for start-ups and I’m incredibly excited to contribute to its growth through the placement at Northstar Ventures. I think it’s fantastic to hear about what local organisations have been up to, how they have grown, and to meet new companies who are about to embark on that journey. The placement is also providing me with an opportunity to take the lessons learnt in the classroom and apply them to a professional environment.”

Kate Chambers, Placement Officer at the Newcastle University Careers service said: “Newcastle Work Experience provides our students with the opportunity to undertake professional work experience alongside their studies, to enhance their CVs and increase graduate employability, whilst offering a cost effective solution to employers and a fresh perspective for their business.”

This was posted in Bdaily's Members' News section by Laura Richards .

Enjoy the read? Get Bdaily delivered.

Sign up to receive our popular North East morning email for free.

* Occasional offers & updates from selected Bdaily partners

Our Partners

Top Ten Most Read