Michael Tippett
Michael Tippett has been promoted to a new role at Newcastle High School for Girls.

This week's North East appointments

Your latest roundup of weekly appointments from across the region is here, in partnership with Westray Recruitment Consultants.

Michael Tippett, Newcastle High School for Girls

Newcastle High School for Girls (NHSG) has announced the appointment of a new head for September 2018.

Mr Michael Tippett has been selected for the job at NHSG. He will be the first male head in the school’s history.

Currently holding the position of senior deputy head at the school, Mr Tippett will move into his new role in the next academic year, taking charge of the largest independent girls’ school in the region which educates 780 pupils aged three to 18.

NHSG opened in 2014, following the merger of two leading girls’ schools, Central Newcastle High School and Newcastle upon Tyne Church High School.

It is one of 25 schools within the Girls’ Day School Trust (GDST), a unique family of schools, united in its aspirations with a ‘girls first’ approach to education.

Commenting on his appointment, Mr Tippett said: “Newcastle High is an outstanding school for girls and it is a real honour to have been appointed as Head from September.

“NHSG has a proud history and heritage in the city of Newcastle, and commands an enviable reputation, renowned for delivering exceptional education within a supportive community.

Our school means a great deal to a great many people and I fully intend that NHSG will continue to be known for academic excellence and for the support and guidance we give to every girl.“

Elizabeth Gallagher, Sintons

The specialist family team at law firm, Sintons has continued its expansion with the appointment of solicitor, Elizabeth Gallagher.

Elizabeth has joined Sintons as a consultant, having moved from her previous role as head of family law at a Teesside-based firm.

She brings over 25 years of experience to Newcastle-based Sintons and during her career, she has become known as a leading specialist in all aspects of family law, particularly in resolving complex financial issues arising from divorce or separation, arrangements concerning children and pre- and post-nuptial agreements.

She said: “It is a privilege to join the team at Sintons. From my early days in the legal profession I have always been aware of Sintons’ long-established reputation.

“I have been hugely impressed by their vision for the future. They have adapted to a hugely changed legal profession whilst continuing to, first and foremost, promote the interests of their clients.

“At the same time, they have maintained a culture which promotes the welfare and development of all their employees. This makes the firm attractive to lawyers at all stages in their careers, as is shown by the recent and ongoing recruitment across the firm.”

Mark Quigley, managing partner of Sintons, said: “Over more than 25 years, Elizabeth has built a reputation in the North East as a leading specialist family lawyer and we are very pleased she has chosen to join us here at Sintons.”

Mike Richards, CAV Systems

Mike Richards has been appointed as CEO of CAV Systems, incorporating CAV Ice Protection and CAV Advanced Technologies.

Mike, who was most recently managing director of Davall Gears, is a professional and entrepreneurial leader of manufacturing and related businesses.

With a career spanning 30 years, including 20 years in the aerospace industry, he brings a demonstrable record of improving productivity and profitability in challenging markets.

Speaking about his appointment, Mike was keen to thank his predecessor, Owen McFarlane, who served the business for almost three decades and was instrumental in securing the backing from Baird Capital, which will support CAV Systems’ growth.

Mike said: “I am proud to lead the team as we move forward into the next chapter of our company’s history.

“CAV Systems is an established aviation and aerospace technology leader with huge potential to expand globally across commercial aerospace and defence markets.

“We have a healthy innovation pipeline and expect our innovation strategy to contribute towards our expansion as we seek to cement CAV’s leading market position.”

Graham Thrower, NEL Fund Managers

NEL Fund Managers has appointed Graham Thrower as a new non-executive chairman.

Graham Thrower has held board-level positions in global investment, economic development and creative industry sectors.

In his new part-time role, he will be responsible for providing corporate governance and oversight of NEL’s investment decision process, as well as acting as a sounding board for its executive team, and will also work to enhance the firm’s relationships with key stakeholders both within and outside the region.

During a 30-year business career, Graham has filled senior management roles within global financial institutions, including Citigroup, Societe Generale and Lloyds Bank, and is a regular speaker at business events and conferences around the world.

Graham commented: “I knew of NEL’s work through previous North East roles and recognised the importance of its investments in encouraging and facilitating business growth and employment opportunities around the region.

“It’s essential that North East SMEs have access to a business support ‘ecosystem’ of professional service advisors, angel investors and fund managers like NEL that are based here and have a firsthand knowledge of how the business community operates.

“NEL has been part of this community for almost three decades, investing successfully in growing businesses through multiple economic cycles, and my experience of working with corporate finance and fund management firms around the world will hopefully enhance what it is able to achieve in the future.”

Victoria Brown; Grant Thompson and Darren Kipling, Flame Heating Group

Gateshead-headquartered Flame Heating Group is fuelling its expansion plans with a series of key appointments and further job creation.

The independent heating and plumbing merchant is expanding its Scotland operation, while increasing its workforce among its network of North East trade counters.

Flame has expanded its head office team with the appointment of Victoria Brown as assistant management accountant; Grant Thompson as internal sales co-coordinator, while two new apprenticeships within the company have been supported.

Darren Kipling has also been appointed as commercial manager for Scotland.

Flame is set to launch its third trade counter in Scotland this summer, with the opening of an Edinburgh site, which will initially create two jobs, including the hire of Adam Killen as Branch Director.

Flame, which operates 10 trade counters in the UK, including eight in the North East, launched its first branches in Scotland, in February - in Ayr and Glasgow.

Following the latest raft of appointments, the Flame employee count has risen to 56.

John Savage, managing director of Flame Heating Group, said: “It is an exciting time for the group as we kick on with our Scotland project, and extend our presence in the North East.

“These latest appointments, together with further job creation in the near future, will help support and drive forward growth at the company.

“The launch of our Edinburgh branch is another step forward for what we’re trying to achieve in Scotland and we are already experiencing strong growth north of the border.

“We are hoping to launch further branches across the UK over the next 12-18 months, in line with our ambitious expansion strategies.”

Looking to promote your product/service to SME businesses in your region? Find out how Bdaily can help →

Enjoy the read? Get Bdaily delivered.

Sign up to receive our popular North East morning email for free.

* Occasional offers & updates from selected Bdaily partners

Our Partners

Top Ten Most Read