Leeds Victorian arcade given new lease of life with six-figure revamp
A Victorian arcade in the heart of West Yorkshire has been transformed with a six-figure makeover.
The Grand Arcade, a Grade II-listed Victorian shopping arcade on New Briggate in Leeds, has undergone a £500k refurbishment.
The Grand Arcade was built in 1897 with Leeds-based ATC acquiring the Tower Cinema, which fronted the property, in 1926 and buying the remainder of the Arcade in 1949.
The refurbishment of the Grand Arcade includes the laying of a Yorkshire Stone floor from Rand & Asquith Yorkshire Stone Quarry.
17 handmade brass period lanterns have been hung from the roof trusses, sections of the original timber glazed roof have been replaced and the arcade has been painted throughout with a new colour scheme and period signage from Leeds-based West Riding Engravers.
Tim Watts of ATC commented: “The Arcade is home to local independents, and we believe the new look has brought the arcade to another level in terms of quality and feel.
“For too long we have been the poor relation in terms of Leeds arcades, but I believe our refurbishment and the money being spent on New Briggate as a whole will definitely push us up the list and make us one of Leeds’s favourite leisure destinations.”
Maddy Wright of Fox Lloyd Jones, which has fully let the arcade on behalf of ATC, added: “It is an extremely exciting time to be in this part of town with the welcome investment in New Briggate and Opera North’s state-of-the-art new centre.
“Both will breathe new life into the area and, together with the new look Grand Arcade, create a fantastic destination with exciting and vibrant hospitality, independent shops, entertainment, and culture. This is further reinforced by the fact that the Arcade is now fully occupied.”
Looking to promote your product/service to SME businesses in your region? Find out how Bdaily can help →
Enjoy the read? Get Bdaily delivered.
Sign up to receive our popular Yorkshire & The Humber morning email for free.